Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Don't Like Marshmallows

My main exposure to marshmallows over the years has been the ones that you purchase in plastic bags from the grocery stores.  While these marshmallows are fine for making the occasional s'more, or rice cereal treat, eating them "as is" is not really a treat.  They usually taste pretty stale, and like the bag they are packaged in.

However, I recently wanted to make a batch of rocky road ice cream, and decided that I would go all out and make my own marshmallows to include in the ice cream, rather than crack open a bag of the store bought ones.  This was possible one of the best decisions I have ever made (right after marrying Paul, and right before not giving my girls matches to play with).  These marshmallows taste of vanilla, with a firm but creamy texture that you can't find from any bagged marshmallow.  I had to stop myself from eating too many so I could keep some for my ice cream (which I have yet to make).

And while the making of these treats is a little sticky and messy, it is surprisingly easy as well.

So get out your mixer, and whip up your own batch of homemade marshmallows!



Homemade Marshmallows (from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by By Jeni Britton Bauer)

1/2 cup cold water
3 1/4 oz. packets of unflavored gelatin
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped out and reserved
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Grease a rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil.  Line with parchment paper and generously grease the paper.  Put 1/4 cup of the water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and sprinkle the gelatin over it.  Let stand for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the other 1/4 cup water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla seeds in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Continue boiling without stirring until a candy thermometer registers 236 Fahrenheit. 

Turn the mixer onto low speed to break up the gelatin.  With the mixer running on slow speed, slowly pour the hot syrup into the gelatin, being careful to avoid the spinning whisk.  Turn the mixer up to medium, then to high. Continue beating until the mixture is very frothy, thick, and cool, about 12 minutes.

Turn the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet. Wet your hands (very important to do this!) and spread and smooth the mixture out over the pan.  Cover with a sheet of well greased plastic wrap and let stand overnight.

Cut the marshmallows into 1/2" cubes using a sharp, thin knife or a bench scraper. Toss with powdered sugar to coat.







1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight and thought I was going burn up the motor on my KitchenAid. By the time I reached 11 minutes the mixture was very stiff and extremely sticky. I could barely scoop the mixture out of the bowl. Although my marshmallows look like those in the picture they are quite dense. I'm wondering if I mixed for too long. Do you mix for the full 12 minutes or less? And if less how long? BTW - made the sweet corn and berry swirl and olive oil with sea salt pepitas ice creams and they are delicious. Made the marshmallows to try the sweet potatoe and marshmallow ice cream. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete