Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Spring is coming!  The snow is finally gone, the weather is getting warmer, and I am starting to switch my girls' winter clothing for spring clothing.

To me, one of the best things about spring is the arrival of a plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables that you just can't get in the long winter.  To that end, I have already started researching new recipes to use this year, as well as pulling out old reliable ones that we have enjoyed in the past. 

One recipe that is a go-to in our house is this one for Chocolate Zucchini Cake.  It is one of my daughter Ellie's favorite cakes, and she routinely requests for me to make it.  Actually, just just asked me yesterday to make it, and since I had everything on hand, except the zucchini, I went to the store today, pick up a couple of zucchini, and am going to put it together later.

But, in the meantime, I wanted to share this with you.  This recipe makes a great, moist snacking cake, and is great to include in your kids lunchboxes.   It also freezes very well.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups grated zucchini
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Cream butter, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat until smooth. 
  3. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and baking soda  and add to creamed mixture. Beat well. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
  4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment