Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fabulous Caramel Cake

It has been a while since I have baked anything. Way too long! I used to bake something (anything) at least once a week, but since we moved and I started my job, I just feel like I just haven't had the time or inclination to bake anything.

However, I do love to bake and miss it a lot. So I decided to just jump back in a make something (anything). After perusing my recipe books I decided on this cake from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott; mostly because I had all the ingredients on hand!

The cake came out very good, but also extremely sweet. But what can you expect when making a cake with "Caramel" in it's name! Although my cake didn't turn out as pretty looking at the one pictured in the book, it didn't deter from the taste. I just didn't get the caramel icing spread as quickly as I needed to -- it hardened up quicker than I expected.



Fabulous Caramel Cake from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott

Yellow Cake

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup milk
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Caramel Icing

One 1-pound box (about 2 2/3 cups) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
7 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment