Saturday, October 15, 2011

Why Am I Paying to Watch Ads?

Last night my family went to the movies to see "Dolphin Tale."  In 3-D no less.  It was a very sweet movie and a nice night, but there was one part of the evening that really got to me.

We got to the theater early (as I am very anal and am always way to early for everything).  We were sitting in the theater waiting for the 5:00pm start time for the movie.  5:00 came, the lights dimmed, and we were treated to 25 minutes of previews, reminders to buy popcorn and turn off our phones and, the worst of all, advertisements. Lots of ads.  Ads as far as the eye can see.  Can you tell me what is up with that?

I understand needed to make money.  That is what a business does; why they exist really.  To make money.  But, if you tell me that a movie starts a 5:00pm and I take my tow children to that movie, they should not have to sit and wait an additional 35 minutes for the movie to start.  A preview or two and maybe one Coke or Ford ad is all I am willing to stand.

So, I am going to try to stick to my local independent theater,  the Cameo Theater in Weymouth, MA.  They have it right!  One or two previews that the main feature.  Plus, it is only $5!  Can't beat that with your fancy 3-D glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment