Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Favorite Things: Minnesota Edition

This morning I read an article about what Oprah gave away this year on her “Favorite Things” show.  Now, I will preface this by saying if I just happened to have someone shower me with free stuff as she did, I would probably not turn it down.  However, watching grown people jump up and down and scream and literally cry about getting jewelry and televisions is a little surreal.  Come on people.   Have a little decorum.

Anyway, I decided to make my own version of a favorite things list, so here it is.  My Favorite Things:  Minnesota Edition.

  • Minneapolis Institute of Art – not only is this a wonderful art museum with a great collection and fantastic art classes and lectures for both adults and chlldren, it is totally free!
  •  Como Zoo – A really nice, smaller zoo.  It is perfect for younger children who may not be able to handle all the walking needed to explore the Minnesota Zoo.  Plus, again, it is totally free.
  • Mall of America – Also free, if you don’t buy anything.  But come on, 500,000 square feet of retail, with an entire amusement park, aquarium, mini golf course, movie theater, etc.  Plus, you may find yourself on an episode of “Mall Cops.”
  • Duluth – Duluth is a beautiful and fun town on the shores of Lake Superior.  A great place for a long weekend road trip.
  • Minnesota State Fair – deep fried Snickers on a stick.  Need I say anything else?
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Statue at Nicollet Mall – If you haven’t had your picture taken next to this statue while throwing your hat in the air, you are missing a great opportunity to make a fool of yourself in public!
  • The Spam Museum – come on!  Who wouldn’t be amazed to find out there is an entire museum dedicated to Spam.
  •  The Mississippi River -- go to Lake Itasca, and see where it all begins.
  •  Deep Fried Cheese Curds – no explanation needed.
  • Summer – Maybe it’s the 6 full months of snow and darkness forcing you to live inside 24/7. But I have never, ever, in my life experienced more glorious summers than I have experienced since living in Minnesota.  Seriously.  They are just stupendous.
There you have it.  Minnesota at its best.  And you don’t have to jump around like a maniac to enjoy it.

1 comment: