Monday, November 22, 2010

Who needs a turkey when you have friends (and soup)!

This is the first Thanksgiving since we met that my husband and I have been apart.  We knew going into this period of transition that we would have to spend this holiday apart, but it still can make for a slightly sad day.

However, thanks my girls and I won’t be a depressing family of three celebrating Thanksgiving at some cheesy restaurant buffet.  We were graciously invited to spend the holiday with our good friends, Shelley and Baard, and their boys, Noah and Caleb.  We decided to forgo a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in favor of a more relaxed, healthified meal; no turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc.  Shelley is preparing the main dishes, while I am preparing the salads and dessert.  

I also decided to sneak a little Thanksgivingness into the meal and decided to make a soup as well.  I love this Cashew Carrot Ginger soup from Pacific Natural Foods, and thought it would be a great addition to a Thanksgiving table.  To that end, I did a little digging and found this great recipe that really mimics the flavors in the soup, but being that I made it myself, it’s even better!  And, you can adjust the spices and ginger to suit your personal taste. I can’t wait to bring it to Thanksgiving.

Shelley and Baard, I hope you like it!

Carrot Ginger Soup with Cashews (adapted from The New Moosewood Cookbook)

2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
4 cups water

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice

3-4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup toasted cashews

Place the carrots in a medium saucepan and add the water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until the carrots are very tender (10-15 minutes)

Heat the olive oil in a small fry pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add ginger, garlic, salt, and spices. Lower the heat and continue to saute for another 8-10 minutes, until the onions are soft. Stir in lemon juice.

Combine the spice-onion mixture with the carrots and the cashews. Use a blender to puree the mixture until smooth.

PS:  check out Shelley's blog a little spinach!

2 comments: