Friday, February 18, 2011

This Isn't the Disney Movie

For those of you who don't know, just spent the majority of last week at my local hospital, suffering from Pneumonia.  It was some fun times, let me tell you. While I was there, for the first couple of days I wasn't able to eat anything, and even after that, I wasn't too hot on eating the hospital's version of vegetarian fare.

When I got home, I was so happy to be able to get back to my diet.  For some reason, I got an overwhelming craving for Ratatouille.  Usually, I make it in spring and summer, when you can get those local veggies, but I needed it!  So, I made a trip to my new favorite store, the Whole Foods Market in Hingam, MA, got my ingredients, and off I went!

Here is the recipe.  It is very easy, but a little time consuming to chop all the veggies.  I enjoy this over cooked grains or pasta, but it is just as good on it's own.  Enjoy!

Ratatouille

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
salt to taste
2 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 large onion, sliced into rings
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cans Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.

Add the zucchini, squash, onion, pepper, and tomatoes to the pot.  Mix well, sprinkle about half the cheese into the veggie mixture and mix well.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the veggie mixture.

Cover and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful, Kim. I'm glad that you're back to cooking, eating, and moving. Must feel great!

    ReplyDelete