Monday, December 20, 2010

Divided We Eat

I am a firm believer of eating the best food you can afford.  In saying that I don't mean the most expensive food, but the best:  fresh, local, organic, whole foods.  I try to purchase organic whenever I can; I belong to the local co-op grocery, I partake of a CSA (community supported agriculture) share over the summer months.  Nutrition and the health of the food supply are a passion of mine.

Despite what I said above, eating the best food you can afford unfortunately means paying more for it.  That is a major problem in our country, especially with the pervasive problem with obesity and food insecurity, especially among the poor.  While my family is fortunate enough to be able to afford to purchase our groceries at co-ops and CSAs, for many, that is certainly not the case.

This article from Newsweek is about the problem of the lack of nutritious food available to the poor in this country.  I strongly urge you to read it, as it speaks of this issues way better than I ever could!

No comments:

Post a Comment