Sunday, December 5, 2010

You're Getting Toffee for Christmas

I am a baker, not a candy maker; although I would love to be able to make great candy, I usually end up trashing my efforts.  My caramels always are too hard or end up as a caramel sauce, my fudge is grainy, and forget about anything requiring dipping!  However, I can make toffee until the cows come home.  So that is why, this time of year, when I make food gifts for people, if I don't make a baked item, they get toffee.

All credit to my toffee making ability is given to this recipe.  As long as you have a candy thermometer, this is truly the easiest, no fail, best toffee recipe there ever was!  This recipe is literally about 15 minutes from start to fridge (with about 45 minutes in the fridge, you can have homemade toffee in an hour!).  It is also open to variation; use whatever nuts, dried fruits, chips, etc. you may have on hand.  I have used all kinds of nuts and fruits, peanut butter chips, cinnamon chips, pretzels, potato chips, even crackers!  Use your favorite flavors and you can't miss.

The Easiest and Best Toffee Ever

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups chocolate chips, divided (or whatever chips you want to use; white chocolate, peanut butter, a mixture, etc.)
  • 1 cup nuts (again, use what you like here for add ins, any nuts, dried fruit, candy, etc.)

Spread nuts and 1 cup of the chocolate chips evenly on a lightly coated jellyroll pan, leaving about 1" of a border or so.

 Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan; add the brown sugar and mix thoroughly.  Cook and stir on medium heat until it reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.



Immediately pour evenly over the nuts and chips.  Spread with a metal butter knife quickly before the toffee starts to harden.


Sprinkle the other 1 cup of chips over the top.  After about a minute or two, when it has softened, spread the chocolate with a knife.





If you like, you can sprinkle any other toppings on the toffee now, like extra nuts, fruit, etc.


Put the toffee in the refrigerator to cool.  Break into pieces to serve.

2 comments: