Thursday, December 9, 2010

Easy Caramelized Onions

I love caramelized onions.  I put them on everything.  Sandwiches, eggs, in pasta, over veggies...the go well with so many things.

Making caramelized onions is so easy.  I make some at least once a week.  Here is how I do it.  Notice I don't really have a real recipe for this.  There really is no need, it is so easy to need a recipe!

First, slice up some onions (about 4 - 5).  Plain yellow or white onions are fine.  You can use sweet onions as well, but I find the final product to be too sweet for my taste when using sweet onions.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pat of butter.  I use my so loved cast iron skillet here.  It really makes a difference in this recipe.


When the pan is hot and the oil is glistening, add the onions and stir with a spatula to coat with the oil.  Continue to cook and stir every couple of minutes for about 10 minutes.


After about 10 minutes, lower the heat to low.  Sprinkle the onions with about a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar.  Continue to cook and stir over low heat for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.  Make sure to stir every couple of minutes.  You want the onions to caramelize, not burn.  The onions are done when the are a beautiful dark brown and just melt in your mouth! 


Don't be afraid to get the onions really dark - much darker than in this photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment