Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Season of Giving

Tis' the season where everyone is looking for bargains, deals, and discounts.  But what does that really say about us and our feelings about what the holidays are about?  What if this season you decided to do something for someone else, something small that could really make a huge difference.  What if you choose to save someones life?

We always hear about the need for blood donation, and during the holiday season it is even more profound a need.  People get busy and feel they just don't have the time to donate, but the need for blood donations does not go away.

I was once in need of donated blood.  When I was 17 I had surgery  which required me to have 5 units of blood transfused during the operation.  While my surgery was not life threatening, it opened my eyes to the need for people to give blood.  After that, I became a regular at the local Red Cross and various blood donation drives.  Unfortunately, I have gotten away from giving, and have used the "I'm too busy" excuse, but this season, I am changing that.  I am giving the best gift I can this year, the fist of life.

On December 22, the Red Cross is having a blood drive at Culver's in Lakeville, MN.  I have registered to give blood that day at 12:15pm (come by and give with me!)  For everyone who donates, Culver's will give that person a coupon for a free pint of frozen custard.

You can register for the drive at www.redcrossblood.org.  If that date does not work for your schedule, please think about donating at another time.  You won't regret it!



No comments:

Post a Comment